Re: Question on smtp and relaying

Subject: Re: Question on smtp and relaying
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:44:05 AKST

On 11 Nov 2002 16:16:17 -0900
"Jon Reynolds" <jonr@destar.net> wrote:

> And after writing this out I am wondering is it because I am inside of
> gci's network and if I were a network unto myself such as gci, I
> wouldn't have this problem, is that right?
>
> Jon

GCI's mail servers trust most anything that comes from inside their network (otherwise known as customers). Your mail server at home is probably set up similarly - if it isn't 192.168.x.x (or whatever) it rejects it as a relay attempt. This is a good thing. My server on GCI's net gets relay attempts every so often, so if you left your home server open it would only be a matter of time before it was exploited for spam.

If you want to be able to send mail from anywhere on the net, but DON'T want your server to be an open relay, I suggest looking into SMTP authentication. You can do that with most of the major SMTP servers (Sendmail, Postfix, etc.). That would let you relay mail through your home server without worrying about opening up the ip range you use at work.

Cheers,

James