appliance and/or thin terminal

Subject: appliance and/or thin terminal
From: AFABCO (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 05:06:42 AKST

OK, brain's been working overtime...

I'm doing some work on industrial platforms and rigs that have starband
in place for cable tv and internet. Starband requires some proprietary
windows based software (proprietary compression, and perhaps some
validation activity). Currently the starband software's running on spare
windows boxen, and they're doing ok with those. But they take up space,
and they're noisy, and they're big and they're in the way.

What's a solid appliancebox a la openbrick that I can put windows and the
starband drivers on and replace the bigboxen? I'm looking for single
supply (so maybe can use batterypower), no moving parts, get it working
then velcro it up in a corner or under a shelf and fuggedabboudit.

Oh, and did I mention it is going to be used to run the starband
software, so it needs two 10BaseT ports.

These are going on industrial platforms, so they can't be too fragile.

Along these same lines, does anyone know of good rugged lightweight 'thin
clients' that I can put LTSP on for the web surfing rooms?

thx,

Lee

--
http://fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and