Re: Sorry seized on the keys?

Subject: Re: Sorry seized on the keys?
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 13:41:58 AKST

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:16:41 -0900
"Mark-Nathaniel Weisman" <mark@outlander.us> wrote:

> http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0%2C4902%2C75510%2C0.html?nlid=3DPM

Sigh! I am finding OpenOffice beats the stuffing out of anything
from MicroSoft.

As part of the office move of the Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center, I
planned to reconstitute the W98/W95 boxes that had been invaded by
the QAZ worm. In the process, I could find only one license for
Office97, which was putatively living on the Executive Director's
NT4.0 box. So I installed OpenOffice from the CD Mike Barsalou put
together.

It seemed to work, and I even found the Excell files the
Transportation Director was using to record activity data. Then I
had the problem of the recently donated Dell box which came with
W98SE and a bunch of other software but no documentation, licenses,
OEM distribution disks, etc. So I loaded OpenOffice on it also.

The crisis came October 24, 2002, when the Executive Director wanted
to print address labels. I had tried to find the files without
success. On Wednesday, October 23, I installed a new HP LaserJet
1200, tested it, and set it up as a shared network printer on the
Dell box. I had to report to the E.D. failure on the goal of
printing the labels.

I was not able to get to MTC until late Thursday, October 24. There
I found the labels printed and an irate E.D. She complained she
didn't like this new software because she couldn't find the button
to edit the Word style address data file. On the other hand, she
was, without my assistance (a good thing because I am not familiar
with the Word data thing) to add several new addresses and get the
whole batch, over 400 labels, printed.

Wow! I am very favorably impressed with OpenOffice.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska