Re: Java...again

Subject: Re: Java...again
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 20:55:39 AKST

Adam, methinks thou art logged in as root! Alas! Get thee to thy own
self quickly!

<21stC> My root home subdirectory, /root, has ".profile" instead of
".bash_profile" (for reasons only dimly understood in the early days
of "sh"). My users' home subdirectories, /home/fgd/, /home/iceworm/,
etc., have ".bash_profile" and ".bashrc". On my Debian system, these
are copied from the files located in /etc/skel/ when adding a new
user.

Immediately after getting control after installing a Debian system,
I login as root, dive down to /etc/skel/ and put my favorite little
stanzas in ".bash_profile" and ".bashrc". There after, the "adduser"
script will copy these modified files whenever I add a new user.

I find the ".profile" and ".bashrc" files for root are a little
different (path, umask) so I go there and add my favorite little
stanzas as appropriate.

Cheerio! fgd

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:06:38 -0900
"i_robot" <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:

> Great, I also meant to ask, has anyone else ha problems with java
> 1.4.1? I have to go with 1.3 to get anything working. Also, is
> that .bash_profile supposed to be in my /home dir? Cause it's not.
> I found some .bash stuff in/etc...vi it there>?
>
> Adam

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.