Re: Apache Name Based VirtualHost

Subject: Re: Apache Name Based VirtualHost
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 13:16:01 AKST

On 27 Oct 2002, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Does anyone else have this setup and is this the best way to go? Do you
> have to add CNames in your DNS server to be able to resolve another
> domain? I am thinking this is what has to be done, I also think that I

Umm, no. Are you thinking of adding a cname for www.foo.com in the zone
file for bar.com?

As long as both www.foo.com and www.bar.com point to your server, you
should be fine.

> only need one <virtualhost> defined in my httpd.conf file because my
> domain will be handled by a regular setup. From what I have red this
> seems like an easy thing to do but I am not finding this so.

If you're only serving one host, then you should not need a <virtualhost>
directive at all. That only makes sense if you're serving more than one
distinct website on the same server.

Example:

http://www.zuelow.net
http://www.juneau-lug.org

Both sites are on the same server, therefore I need to set up
<virtualhost> directives for each.

If I were just running one of the sites, then I would not have to mess
with it at all.

> Does anyone have a website where it shows the complete httpd.conf file
> in it's entirety and the dns settings that would need to be added to
> make this work?

I can mail you an example if you like.

Cheers,

James