Newbie Java, boot, and reboot crash problems

Subject: Newbie Java, boot, and reboot crash problems
From: Wescougar (wescougar@gci.net)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 21:41:10 AKDT

I'm a newbie to Red Hat 7.3. I'm having 3 main problems. First, I can't
get Java applets to work in either Netscape or Konqueor. Second, I am dual
booting with winXP. When I installed I decided to place the GRUB boot
loader in the linux partition instead of the MBR. I was worried it could
mess-up my XP, I know probably a silly worry. At any rate, the only way I
can now boot into linux is with the boot disk I created during the install.
I think this is also the reason I'm not running the updated kernel, as the
up2date app tells me to reboot to run it. I tried to make a new boot disk,
with the new kernel, and my computer says it is not a bootable disk. Third,
if I choose reboot from inside gnome, before I logout, I get 2 very fast
messages. First one, says a program has crashed, the second, something got
woken up, then HARD LOCK-UP. I had to force shut down. When I turned the
power back on only the fans spun up, and the lights came on, but no bios
boot or anything else. I had to unplug it for several minutes, and then it
started up normal. I've since tried this again, and same results, except my
computer did boot back up ok this time. Reboot and halt work fine from the
login screen. Thanks for any help, and I was refered to this groop to meet
other friends and help.
Corey