Re: Slackware Partition Setup

Subject: Re: Slackware Partition Setup
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 21:07:29 AKDT

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, James Raynor wrote:
> I am installing Slackware on a PC with a 6gb hdd. The set up does not
> hold your hand like Red Hat and actually wants me to partition the HDD
> myself, the nerve. Anyway, what partition schemes do you guys/gals
> recommend? Thanks in advance.

Having read Arthur and Greg's replies, here's my $.02 :-)

If you're just installing this to play with, test out, etc. then I'd go
with swap and / only. Swap size depends on how much RAM is in the box, but
if it's got 128mb and it's a "play" box, I'd drop 250MB into swap. If RAM
is low, maybe 500MB swap. Main reason for this setup is, it's easy, and
for a trial-install easy is the way to go. Also, if it's just you, then
you know what'll happen if you fill up the root partition :-)

If this is a production box, or something that isn't going to be easy to
"fix" later, then I'd start looking at Arthur's suggestions, since it'd be
easier to move a single partition onto a different drive later if need be.