Re: Slackware Partition Setup

Subject: Re: Slackware Partition Setup
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 15:55:43 AKDT

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, James Raynor wrote:

> I am installing Slackware on a PC with a 6gb hdd. The set up does not
> hold your hand like Red Hat and actually wants me to partition the HDD
> myself, the nerve. Anyway, what partition schemes do you guys/gals
> recommend? Thanks in advance.

I would set yours up as so:

/ 500MB
/usr 2000MB
/var 500MB
/tmp 500MB
/home (remaining)

Keep in mind the following philosophical principles:

 o The root partition should be as small as possible, but with
    everything you need on it to bring the system up to single
    user mode, so you can do a full restore of everything else,
    if needed.
 o The root partition should be as static as possible (i.e.,
    no changing data). Less writes means less probability of
    file system corruption (still important, even with journaling
    fs'es).
 o The tmp partition should always be separate to make sure
    errant processes don't run your fs out of disk space for
    critical processes. You can hang an entire box if syslogd
    runs out of space for its logs, for instance (or, at least,
    it was that way in the past). So, keep var separate from tmp.
 o The var partition changes a *lot*, so keep it isolated from
    the more stable fs'es.
 o The users are the most unpredictable thing to manage, so keep
    their space separate from everything else. This also makes
    system upgrades easier, since you won't have to roll their
    data off of tape the next you rebuild the system by wiping the
    previous system fs'es.

Just my $.02, so discard at will. :-)

        --Arthur Corliss