Re: Digital Darkroom under Linux

Subject: Re: Digital Darkroom under Linux
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 23:12:54 AKDT

On 17 Oct 2002, Neil Moomey wrote:

> I don't think Linux can compete with OS X or Windows for digital
> darkroom stuff but I've had good success with VueScan. Image quality is
> much better than Sane. PhotoShop7 is far superiour to Gimp. I enjoy
> using Image Magick, especially for web stuff. Not sure about large
> images though. http://www.imagemagick.org Here are some useful
> commands:

I am very much liking VueScan. Gimp is a very nice program, but it is
not as optimized as PhotoShop. PhotoShop has a few neat features, but
main (I think) it allows for a specific photo editing workflow,
instead of just general image editing.

The real tweaks for me are the lack of a 48bit colorspace and no
colorspace emulation or ICC profiling support.

I would like to be able to control the compression of the 36bit scans
into 24bit, and colorspace emulation on display would be very useful.

It would also be nice to work in something other than sRGB, as most
print shops seem to like AdobeRGB or whatnot.

*BUT* Windows is simply not an option, and I do not own a Mac. While
OS/X would be ok in general I hate complex desktops (I run a very
simple fvwm2 config, using mwm style window borders), and owning a Mac
just for photo work seems a bit much.

--
I route, therefore you are.