Re: Digital Darkroom under Linux

Subject: Re: Digital Darkroom under Linux
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 09:54:31 AKDT

on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 at 19:57:5 Christopher E. Brown writes:

>Wondering if any else around here is playing with photography under
>Linux?
>
>Using a Canon FS4000US (4,000dpi SCSI/USB filmscanner) for high
>quality stuff ( ~ 6000x4000 pixel 36bit captures from 35mm negative or
>slide film ), and a Canon S100 Elph (1600x1200 24bit) for low res.
>
>VueScan runs the FS4000 very well under Linux and gphoto2 handles the
>S100.

I do a fair amount of image editing using linux tools, gimp mostly. I have a
nikon coolpix 990 3.2 Mpixel camera, and a new Sony model???? 5.1 Mpixel camera,
a nikon LS2000(?) slide scanner, and an older HP scanner. Also have an epson
1270 photo printer.

I use Xsane from gimp to do the scan captures. It has been my experience that
once you get a good transfer function (color balance bias) for the scanner in
question, the scanning is fairly straightforward. I also find that scans take a
lot more post-capture manipulation that do the digital cameras.

With either of my cameras, I have not found much of a problem at all with color
balance, except in low-light situations, and the images have other problems as
well. I am sure that this varies from camera to camera. I use a pcmcia card
adaptor to download images from the camera memory modules. Insert the card and
mount as a vfat file system.

The gamut of the printer is a fair amount different than that of the
monitor/graphics card, and to get a print that looks similar to the screen often
takes quite a bit of image editing. Not sure if this is an artifact of the
printer or gimp-print. I suspect the latter.

As to 24 vs 48 bit color, I question, perhaps naively, that 48 bit color is all
that useful, except in a few critical applications. The varying response
functions of the display media (CRT, lcd, print) from one instance to another
probably overwhelms the subtle differences enabled by 48 bit color.

When it comes to high-quality digital images, it is hard to say what the "right"
color balance really is.

My $.02

PQO

>---------

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |