Re: Hardware Recommendation: WiFi

Subject: Re: Hardware Recommendation: WiFi
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 14:32:04 AKDT

Some of the hardware support is going to be kernel dependent. Last time
I looked, the 2.2.x kernel series only supported the Raylink and 1 or 2
others and Debian 3 still uses the 2.2 kernel by default. If you use one
of the optional installs, it will install with the 2.4 kernel which
gives more choices. I did find a how-to on getting the orinoco card
working on 2.2, but it looked like a lot of work.

That D-Link card of Lee's was interesting too. It required at least PCI
2.1, I think. I know it required a newer version than the box Lee
brought in had. If you're using older hardware, you might want to look
up the card before purchasing. You might want to check out the PCI/ISA
to PCMCIA adapters as well.

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 11:21, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> There was a nice crowd at the Alaska Computer Society - PC Users
> Group's meeting last night. The presentation on satellite broadband
> was interesting, but it was the tail-end discussion regarding
> wireless that really got my attention.
>
> A few weeks ago (maybe a month or more, no one is taking minutes) at
> the Friday night lab session at IDEA, Dee McKinney and Jim Gribbin
> set up a WiFi (802.11b) Internet access point. Dee demonstrated
> "war-walking" with his laptop. This was the first time my attention
> was drawn to the possibilities of wireless.
>
> Last week, the Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center completed a move. No
> provision for a 10BaseT LAN was made in the plan for the move. I was
> given responsibility for moving the computers etc., and I figured
> wireless might be the way to go to set up a (W)LAN without the
> problem and cost of pulling wire (there is pots, 25 pair for key
> systems). They would gain in flexibility also. So, my attention has
> been captured.
>
> Query: What hardware works with Gnu/Debian/Linux? fgd.

Jim Gribbin