RE: Debian

Subject: RE: Debian
From: James Zuelow (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 07:38:57 AKDT

You can also retrieve a net install CD
(http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/) that is considerably easier to
download. It's only 186MB or so, but includes everything in the base
system. Then you only download what you'll use from then on.

You can also get the floppy images, and do a net install from them too.
(If you're on a dialup link, find some CDs locally or get them from
Cheap Bytes.)

Don't worry about the different kernel images. They're set up so that
different CDs will boot into a different kernel - for example I think CD
1 is compiled for a 686, so if you're installing on a Pentium classic or
486 you need to boot from CD 2, which is compiled for a 386.

Cheers,

James