Another install opinion

Subject: Another install opinion
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:04:53 AKDT

Here is Kevin Luckey's take on installing the new RedHat 8.0:

I installed RH8 and was impressed although my first time around, I
installed over an existing 7.3 install using lilo and it wouldn't boot,
so I decided to do a clean install and used Grub boot loader, this went
smooth (I think the days of anyone that can install Windows can install
Linux are here). They included a fourth option on the install for I
can't remember maybe "Desktop" install. Anyway for this installation I
choose the standard Workstation install and all the default options for
programs; this took around 1.8GB drive space, only used two of the five
cd's. It installs, Gnome, Open Office 1.0.1, Evolution 1.0.8 and of
course Mozilla, as standard programs. They cleaned up the interface
especially the "start" button and it feels more comfortable to use. So
at least for now, for a standard GUI Workstation, I would say things are
looking up.