Install RedHat 8.0

Subject: Install RedHat 8.0
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:01:52 AKDT

I liked the new install...it is friendlier and more like a person might be
used to. The graphics are updated and softer...not so cold and uninviting.

This first time you boot your machine, it asks you questions about how you
want to setup your computer...including a time server so that you can have
your time set by a more accurate clock.

There is a mail transport Agent switcher that helps you switch from Sendmail
to postfix...I know for some of you, this will be a welcome addition...I'm
going to stick with sendmail. :)

The RedHat User manager is nice...clean and easy to use...also automatically
hides all the "extra users" but easily shows them by changing a preference.

There is a nice package management tool. I used it to install Lynx on the
machine and it went very smoothly. It is the exact same tool that is used
during custom package selection during the initial install. Additionally,
it figured out what other packages

And no computer would be complete without a game of FreeCell. Of course
there are about 30 other games that are automatically installed as well.

It bums me out that they still haven't come up with a way to let you know
that when you clicked on the icon, it is actually launching the application.
Of course, I use the Hard disk light for this indicator, but that light is
not always present or not always obvious.

OpenOffice 1.0.1 is installed as a default. This is great news! Now a
person can install Linux on their machine and be productive right away!

And lastly, although Tux Racer is installed initially, it didn't work well
with my Dell Insperion 7000 (Rage mobility?) laptop. There have only been a
few machines that I have been able to get Tux Racer to work on...oh
well...nothings perfect.

All-in-all though, I recommend RedHat 8.0 to new people. It's a shame we
weren't able to give that out at the IT Expo!

Mike