Re: Steve Gibson Research

Subject: Re: Steve Gibson Research
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 13:38:26 AKDT

Greetings all!

I have been delighted to discover Gibson's site. I use his "Shields
Up" and "Probe My Ports" to check my firewall. I am sure there is a
better (*nix) way, but I have not discovered it yet. Suggestions
welcome.

I place Steve on the side of RMS but not at Stallman's level. I
place this site (grcsucks) on the side of the "XEMACS" bunch. Both
have some interesting ideas, but both exhibit the behavior of an 800
pound grizzily with a taste for two-legged creatures.

Regarding the comparison with RMS, the raw sockets problem of
Windows XP is just not in the same category as the Gnu Manifesto (
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html ), the Free Software
Foundation, and the whole Gnu enchelada.

To summarize, I find Gibson's site usefull, but I find the grcsucks
site a time waster. At 65 years of age, I just don't have time to
waste.

Cheerio, fgd.