Re: Cat 5 wiring

Subject: Re: Cat 5 wiring
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 21:41:52 AKDT

That is correct - pins 3 and 6 are receive and pins 1 and 2 are
transmit. The rest are not used.

How you would use the other 4 I don't know - presumably stripping the
insulation back aways and splitting it - which would seriously degrade
your reliability. I would say theoretically there's no reason you
couldn't, but you probably would lose more than it's worth in bad
packets (especially with 100mbit ethernet)

Just my 2c - It'd be fun to try it and do some tests though! :)

Justin