RE: Sudden trouble logging in to my ISP

Subject: RE: Sudden trouble logging in to my ISP
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:17:20 AKDT

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 19:56, Timothy W. Gibson wrote:

> I've had the same problem:
>
> I'm running Suse 7.3 on a celeron 433 with 98megs and lots o' drive
> space. My modem is a USR 56k external. Running KDE 3.0.
>
> Kppp started off by giving me problems. It will only make a full
> connection to my ISP about 25% of the time. It will dial and appears
> to authenticate, but for some reason the connection will usually not
> work- I can ping my ISP's server, I get an IP address, but that's it.
> I can't resolve host names, and even if I know the IP address of the
> site I want to connect to, it will just time out. Looking at the
> connection stats, I see a few packets exchanged right at sign on, and
> then flat line after that.
>
> So, I started using wvdial to make my connections, and it worked fine
> for several months. But now, it's gone south on me. The error message
> it gives before it shuts the terminal window goes by so fast I don't
> have time to read it all, but it says something about "sending password
> and hoping for the best..."
>
> This just happened within the last couple of days. I will check my log
> files and see what they say. Isent this problem to the Suse list already
> and not gotten too much back yet...
>
> Thanks!
> Tim

This is from debian-kde, maybe it is relevant.

"I experienced the same difficulties when I upgraded to 3.x. Change
kppp to be SUID. See the kppp handbook
(help:/kppp/security-why-suid.html ) for an
explanation. kppp 3.0.3-1 is shipped SGID. Is there a good reason for
this or
is it a bug ? I don't recall ever having to do this with 2.x.x."

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.