Re: newbie feedback

Subject: Re: newbie feedback
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 07:31:22 AKDT

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Jim Dory wrote:
[snip]
> that Redhat. Not sure how to get around that Autocad issue, and now
> we're looking at having to buy ArcView as a statewide standard in the
> Alaska Coastal Management Program. So I'm hoping Wine or VMware or
> something comes along to still be able to run these programs on Linux.

That's going to be a killer. The new Arcview 8.x is Win2k+ specific, so I
have doubts that WINE will handle it. VMWare with 2K installed in it would
probably do it, though, but you're still running Win2K at that point.

My real killers are AutoCAD's world+dog, ArcView, and most likely Oracle
(the Oracle Forms stuff looks different in Win vs *nix, and since the
viewers are most likely using Win...). Almost everything else is MS Office
Pro (StarOffice), mail/calendar (Evolution or KDEstuffs) and mainframe
(tn3270 - no idea, but it must exist). Simple enough, as long as it's an
easy install (say, no harder than Solaris 8) and is easy for the user to
adapt to...

So far I have the SUSE install CD, Mandrake and Libranet's graphical
Debian. We'll see if one of those will do it...