An Octet of Operating Systems

Subject: An Octet of Operating Systems
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 11:13:55 AKDT

Skip on down to the Virtual Machine section ...
VMWare is just part of the story.

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=7572/byt1030741630741/0903_nicholls.html

 ... From what I've seen of the AMD Hammer architecture and
instructions, named x86-64, it appears possible for an x86-64 OS to
virtualize the x86-32 protected ring zero instructions in an efficient
manner. If this is true, then we may finally see a true virtual machine
that can run current x86 OSes without a major performance hit.
Multiple copies of Linux could run multiple Apache web servers to
isolate production and test environments, or to support separate company
sites on a shared large machine.