Re: Cron jobs

Subject: Re: Cron jobs
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 17:46:05 AKDT

whichever user is set to run them... on my system (SuSE 7.3) cron jobs
that are under /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, etc run as root, and
jobs listed in /var/spool/cron/tabs/<username> are run by <username>

for example, I have a /var/spool/cron/tabs/www file that is set up to
run webalizer every day, and that is run as user 'www'. For example, if
you made a separate file /var/spool/cron/tabs/mbarsalou, whatever you
specified in there would be run as user 'mbarsalou'

I believe it is also legal to make a /var/spool/cron/tabs/root file to
run stuff as root, so root's stuff doesn't necessarily have to be under
/etc/cron.*

At least that is how SuSE is set up.. others may be different.. and I'm
by no means proficient at cron, so please someone correct any incorrect
statments I may have made... ;)

Justin