Re: Enough for all my favorite OS's

Subject: Re: Enough for all my favorite OS's
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 06:23:11 AKDT

<civileme@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 July 2002 11:43 pm, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> > > Now if my laptop could use one of these I'd be set :-)
> > > http://www.wdc.com/company/releases/Pressrelease.asp?release=1404
> > >
> > > /Dee
> >
> > Yep the only thing really wrong with it is that it is WD and it has the
> > same lack of ability on 57-byte CRCs as its predecessors.
>
> Er, sorry -- could you explain what that means?

http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20000214_54.epl#2

There you go. Nothing has changed. WD hardware still blows off the CRC ATA3
or higher and stores the compurer generated CRC in those big 600-byte sectors
to emulate what their hardware cannot do. Problem is, if a channel error
occurs on transmit to the disk, you have a sector to recover by hand, because
the ECC will never permit it.

They do the 32Byte CRCs of ATA2 and below acceptably. Then all you have to
worry about is their abysmal service record and the smoothest Customer
Service department in the business (working on the wrong things, kinda scary
like an Airline having a V.P. in charge of lost baggage).

Civileme