Re: /. & Real

Subject: Re: /. & Real
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:36:23 AKDT

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, W.D.McKinney wrote:

> If you haven't read /. recently it looks like Real is getting on the Open Souce
> wagon in a good way :-)
>
> http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2002/xiph.html

*kachung* <--- The sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

Right on! I've been looking at their Helix stuff, and caught the earlier
thing that they would be opening some of it's source code, but this blows
me away! What a windfall for the Vorbis Crew.. Hopefully it doesn't go the
way of OpenDivx anytime soon (although, the OS continuation of OpenDivx
(Xvid) is still quite competative with Divx5 (the closed source
continution of OpenDivx))

--James