Re: Screen Res

Subject: Re: Screen Res
From: James Gibson (eclectric@ftml.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 23:01:39 AKDT

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Adam Elkins wrote:
> Where do I change the Default Screen res.? I looked in XF86Config, but
> saw nothing about it. My res is silly low, and I can't see a thing.

There isn't a 'default res' option per se. you set it like this (in the
XF86Config):

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth 16
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

the 'DefaultDepth' does what you'd think. Then XFree will use the screen
resolutions for that depth in the order they are given in the 'Modes' line
for that depth. If you have a low res starting up, your Modes line
probably looks something like this:

Modes "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"

This will start it in 640x480 which is not what you want.. rearrange the
items to look closer to my first example, and make sure to put the mode
you want to use by default in the front.

--James