Re: Report?

Subject: Re: Report?
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 21:42:22 AKDT

* No vendor lock-in. Open software is based on open protocols. It has
to be, since the source is available.

* No licensing fees. Install it on as many computers as you want.

* Commercial/paid support is available, but not required.

* Free software upgrades. You are never charged for updates and/or
fixes (although you can pay for quicker access to them; RHN for example)

* Fast bug fixes. Bugs are fixed much faster than with proprietary
software.

* OSS can be modified to work the way you want it to because you have
the source.

* Linux can be used on older hardware if desired; you lose some of the
bells and whistles but it can be done.

* All the cool kids are using it.