Re: Slackware 8.1

Subject: Re: Slackware 8.1
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:35:07 AKDT

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, damien hull wrote:

> What ever came with Slack 8.1 is what I used. I didn't add anything to the
> Slack source.

Well, IIRC Slack uses the modules built by the pcmcia-cs package.
While the modules built by the kernel are useful, not all pcmcia
modules have been ported from pcmcia-cs and added into the kernel.
For most distros the pcmcia-cs supplied modules are used.

When you build pcmcia-cs against a 2.4 kernel (*if* kernel internal
pccard modules are not enabled) the modules are installed in
/lib/modules/2.4.x/pcmcia/ (IIRC). If you remove the modules
directory for the old kernel, then rebuild the kernel and do a make
modules_install you have the kernel modules, but not the external
pcmcia modules. *Or* if you build a kernel with pcmcia internal
support, but the pccard tools are not rebuilt to reflect this you can
run into similar issues (modprobe loads the wrong module).

pcmcia-cs needs to be rebuilt against the current kernel config *if*
you change from external to internal pcmcia modules, *OR* you update
the kernel and have pcmcia-cs built for external modules.

(If you use the internal modules *only*, pcmcia-cs only builds the
manager apps, and is fairly version independent. If you use *any* of
the external modules in pcmcia-cs it builds those driver modules
against *that* specific kernel.)

--
I route, therefore you are.