Re: Slackware 8.1

Subject: Re: Slackware 8.1
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 22:53:24 AKDT

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, James McMorris wrote:
> > > make mrproper
> > > make menuconfig
> > > make dep
> >
> > > make clean
> >
> > I don't use this method myself but why 'make clean' ?
>
> >From the UNIX Handbook:
>
> When a "make clean" is executed, the "clean" section of the Makefile
> will remove all the object files, executables and core files. This is
> usually done to save space or right before a fresh compile.

Thanks for the link, quite useful... The more 'street-learned' reason to
use 'make clean' is 'cause leaving previously compiled object files (*.o)
can occasionally cause headaches, especially when you've changed
configuration files or header files between builds.

The whole makefile scheme is generally intelligent enough to recompile
object files that are affected by configuration changes, but occasionally
one or two slip through the cracks. These can be a bugger when they
strike.

--James