Re: Kernel Copy

Subject: Re: Kernel Copy
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 23:40:50 AKDT

Adam,

Here is what I would do.

In Mandrake, cd /usr/src/linux (or wherever MDK keeps kernel sources)
and type 'make oldconfig'. This will create a file called .config.

Take this file and copy it to your Slack boxes /usr/src/linux (or
whatever) and replace the .config already there (might want to make a
backup copy just in case).

Now compile your kernel. This should create a kernel with all the same
options/modules as your Mandrake kernel. The only thing you should look
out for, is if MDK adds patches to their kernel. If they do, try
downloading MDK's kernel sources to your Slack box.

Note that I have never tried to do this myself, it's just what I would
try if I were in that situation.

Good luck!

Anthony