Re: filesystem health

Subject: Re: filesystem health
bryan@ak.net
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 22:44:19 AKDT

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 10:56:30PM -0800, civileme <civileme@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 09:38 pm, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> > > One of my ext2 filesystems is over 50% fragmented. Is there
> > > something I can -- or should -- do about this? It seems to
> > > work okay. (And yes, that's after an fsck.)
> >
> > Dude, take a snapshot of that. I ran a webserver on the same fs for over
> > two years, and never peaked 8%. That's amazing. Exactly what are you
> > doing to that box? ;-)
>
> Well I really really want to know what you did. Only scenario I can think of
> is if you concatenated some files in place to one large file and then deleted
> files that were in-between.

Here's the story. It used to be my root partition, at 3 gigs. When
I noticed it was getting full, I partitioned the empty 2.5 gigs at
the end of the drive as another filesystem. Despite my intentions,
it turned out that most of the root partition was taken up with mp3s
that I had been slowly accumulating. They took up enough space that
I decided to leave them there, and move / to /dev/hda9. (Seems odd,
I know....) Anyway, the result is that the original partition is 85%
used, and 57.9% non-contiguous.

btw, what exactly does that number measure?

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net