Re: Solver?

Subject: Re: Solver?
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 14:14:03 AKDT

From: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/solver.html

What Is the Solver?
Last updated 2001-12-20
-Rüdiger Timm

Solver is the global output tree.

Each module has an own, local output tree, where all "results" produced by
dmake are located. Things used by other modules (headers, libraries, ...)
get delivered to a global output tree called solver. If module B needs a
header from module A, it will find it on solver. solver also contains some
tools needed during build process.

What is the solver tarball good for? In case you are building OpenOffice.org
completely, you don't need solver. You just create it for yourself during
bootstrap and building. The big advantage of solver is that it enables you
to work on a subset of OpenOffice.org modules. For example, if you want to
change something for the spreadsheet application, you may check out module
sc, do your hacks, download solver and compile module sc using the
downloaded solver. You don't have to compile the bunch of modules sc depends
on, everything you need is contained in solver. After compiling your changes
copy the resulting library into your existing OpenOffice.org installation,
or check out module instset and build your own installation set.