Re: big long strings and biggest query solved

Subject: Re: big long strings and biggest query solved
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 13:25:58 AKDT

> My current solution is to write what I want in order to a separate
> file, the load that file into one giant string.
>
> "INSERT INTO song (ID, title, mpeg) VALUES
> (\'1\',\'abc\',\'"+binary_mpeg_data_here+"\')"

A more efficient method would to use a parameter query:

  "INSERT INTO song (ID, title, mpeg) values(?, ?, ?)"

Then, when you execute the query, you'd hand it a list of arguments to
satisfy the parameters. This allows you multiple benefits:

  --Only one query to manage
  --No more composing massive strings and forcing the SQL engine
    to compile and execute it
  --Parameter queries can reused by compiling once, cached, and
    executed multiple times (with different arguments, of course)

and so on. You'll find a *huge* performance improvement when doing mass
imports into your music library.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto