re: Restoring from backup

Subject: re: Restoring from backup
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 23:58:37 AKDT

On Thu, 16 May 2002 lee@afabco.com wrote:

> It just so happens I came across this yesterday while cleaning up my desk.
> It is freeBSD-oriented, but may be relevant anyway.
>
> >From www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-programs.html
>
> 12.9.7 Which Backup Program Is Best
>
> dump(8). Period.
>

> One caveat tho: the data that statement is based on is from 1991 8^)

Yup--exactly. GNU tar in particular has progressed hugely since 1991.

In this case I wholeheartedly disagree with the author of the FreeBSD
documentation referenced above. Like anything else, you just *can't*
globally say "X is best--period". Different situations require different
things. While I *do* generally prefer dump/restore over GNU tar (and
cpio, afio, etc.), if circumstances are such that I am required to restore
a particular filesystem from a FreeBSD box onto an HP-UX box, for example,
then if that backup was made using FreeBSD dump I'm in big trouble. In
this particular case, GNU tar beats dump/restore hands down. If you need
portability, then everything else takes a back seat to GNU tar.

I'll admit, the above case would be pretty obscure, but the basis for that
section of FreeBSD documentation is so dated it's just plain ridiculous.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax