Re: SlackWare Laptop Sound

Subject: Re: SlackWare Laptop Sound
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 18:19:17 AKDT

Unless this is an OLD laptop (think pentium 90), I seriously doubt that it
is an ISA chipset... the PCI-to-ISA bridge is/was generally more expensive
than any chips you were going to bind to it, and it got dumped pretty fast
by the laptop makers.

You can verify what devices are on your PCI bus by doing a 'cat /proc/pci
| less'. if Your kernel is compiled right it should have fulltext
descriptions of what's there, and the resources they use. if you are
unlucky, it will have all the resource info, but will list manf. IDs
instead of the text.. you can look those numbers up in a file.. uhm.. I
think it's usually /usr/share/pciids.txt or something similar (i forget..
sorry.)

you can also verify what is or is not being detected as an isapnp device
by examining your isapnp.conf file you created.. the syntax isn't that bad
(but (obviously (designed (by (someone (who (likes (programming (in (lisp)
))))))).. and the output is pretty well commented.

if you get stuck send me a copy of your /etc/ispnp.conf and your /proc/pci
files and I'll take a look-see.

James