Re: enviromental variable

Subject: Re: enviromental variable
From: Richard Mckinney (mckinney@gci.net)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 14:09:31 AKDT

Environment variables can be setup with the .profile file in the given
users home directory.
Also read on login is a shell specific config file called .bashrc (for
the bash shell). Environment variables can be set there as well. Which
shell is used on a normal user login can be determined by examining the
/etc/passwd file.

There are other files that can set environment variables that can be
edited for speceific requirements but I would suggest keeping it simple
and using the .profile/.bashrc approach.

As always...check the man pages/howtos

Rich