RE: Getting Linux into schools

Subject: RE: Getting Linux into schools
From: Sean Closson (sclosson@MDGI.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 10:20:02 AKDT

Eloquent and on target Stephen. =20
I get razzed by some coworkers for being a "Linux geek" (I am, and =
proudly so), but these are very real hurdles that *any* NOS will have to =
overcome. =20
IMO, Microsoft didn't get in there because it had a better product =
(arguments could be made for almost anything else, such as Netware), or =
even that it had existing mind-share (I grew up with Apple IIe's in my =
school)... M$ got in there due to marketing. Once there, they got you =
hooked on platform specific apps until you *had* to go along with =
low-value upgrades, draconian licensing, and crappy security. =20
I would love to see Linux become more entrenched in this market, but I =
think it'll take some big players with good marketing resources. I =
foresee Linux making its way into education networks just like it has in =
others; slowly and almost invisibly. A fork-lift upgrade would be too =
critical and could actually look bad for Linux as a whole if mishandled.

Sean Closson
(obviously these are my opinions and I claim total responsibility for =
their crappyness)