Re: Getting Linux into schools

Subject: Re: Getting Linux into schools
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 09:33:47 AKDT

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:08, Barsalou wrote:

> Do any of you think this will help at all to get Linux into the schools?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html

I think (unfortunately) that it takes a big presence such as a Red Hat
or IBM to get taken seriously as a GNU/Linux (linux) vendor , so go for
it Red Hat ! I would like to see local vendors be able to do this with
free software.

 Getting linux into the schools sounds good but it means various things.
Linux for servers, how about free bsd, open bsd ? There is competition
in the free*nix department for servers. Teachers in the classroom don't
care about operating systems they have specific programs they use. Make
the same program available, make it as easy to use, no one notices.

I would like to extend an invitation to all ASD personnel reading this
list to come down to a Friday nite get together & see what is available
for the desktop.

If someone came into your place of business and offered to replace the
OS on your computers with a system you knew nothing about would you go
for it :)

Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.
email:pabi@gci.net