Re: Laptop that works with linux

Subject: Re: Laptop that works with linux
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 11:33:19 AKDT

JON-

I have purchased a couple of laptops in the past six months, both Dell (Inspiron
8000, 8001) More spendy that what you are looking for.

Both work well w/ linux (RH 7.1) for the most part, with a few little quirks. It
has been my experience that XFree is the most problematic area of compatibility
with laptops. Dell always seems to put video cards in their laptops that are
too new to be supported by most linux distros, so you need to download drivers,
etc.

There is an excellent website: http://www.linux-laptop.net/ that someone in
AKLUG turned me onto. My approach would be to decide which laptop(s) I wanted
and then check the website to see what problems other people encountered.

PQO

ps: Who ever it was that turned me onto the linux-laptop web site, thanx a
bundle!

>> My Dell Inspiron 4000 works very well with Linux. Not a new model but
>very
>> stable.
>> You can buy these off eBay for less than $1000.00.
>>
>> /Dee
>>
>Dell has a new basic laptop for less:
>
><LINK>
>http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_inspn_1_inspn_100n.htm
></LINK>
>
>You still pay the Windows tax, and there's no burner or anything else
>special, but at least you've got a warranty.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James
>

>---------

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |