DHCP and Samba w/ etc/hosts

Subject: DHCP and Samba w/ etc/hosts
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 14:33:05 AKDT

Hope you don't mind another newbie question:

I've spent the weekend trying to learn Linux and networking. (If you
want to learn Linux, give yourself a task.) My task is trying to get a
Windows network (mostly Win2000 and win98 but one or two W95) to use a
Linux server (cobalt raq) to share files, backup files, etc. and to
provide internet access via maybe a cable modem. Lan would be about 20
desktops and Wan would be total of 50 or less.

I've been researching groups.google.com and there's lots of opinions and
many are over my head or apply to different scenerios so thought I would
throw this out to the LUG. I am kind of in a hurry to get this working
so I don't have a lot more time to reseach - at least immediately.

Seems there's a couple schools of thoughts.. a script that rewrites the
etc/hosts file to update the dynamic IP addresses- some very short and
sweet others very long and complex-, and another where you add the whole
pool range with some kind of generic host names which I didn't
understand obviously. Another guy was saying that if DNS is working your
etc/resolv.conf handles it. I've got DNS working but not sure how well.
(like I said.. newbie).

On the server I did get dhcpd installed and working.

I've been telnetting to the linux box via my windows PC. I can see the
domain name under Network Neighborhood (Windows Explorer) but get an
error message host unknown or similar when clicked upon. Doesn't show
the host name, just the domain so maybe something's wrong there. I can
ftp to the linux box using its host name rather than ip address. (I'll
try and get everything good and secure when I get it working properly.)

Anyway, can someone point me to a concise little solution somewhere that
can get me started? I'm sure whatever it is, it might generate questions
so hope you don't mind..

By the way, this is forcing me to learn a few commands. I'm pretty much
using the command line but do have Webmin installed.

Cheers, JD