Re: DNS and FireWall

Subject: Re: DNS and FireWall
From: Michael Gillson (Michael_Gillson@chugachelectric.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 13:48:17 AKDT

I was able to do everything at http://www.zoneedit.com/

They are free unless your volume gets really high (Millions of Hits)
They are very easy to use and you can set up the mail as well.

I have a Linux fire wall with an IP address. I programed in my
rc.local script the values for
my sub-domains. This script communicates with zone edit. It just
requires python.

They even have some pretty good FAQ's to help a newbie like me get it
all working.

>>> "Brian ThunderEagle" <furbs@arcadia.2y.net> 05/02/02 01:28PM >>>

        Alright, I just bought a new Domain Name. I have 2 DNS Servers,
Win2k
Advanced Server and a Linux RedHat 7.2 Bind 8. Now on top of that I
have
Smoothwall for my firewall. How do I set one of these DNS servers to
be
accessable from my new domain name. Here are some more details on my
setup:

        Domain name: swjedi.net
        Firewall IP: 24.237.13.91
        Nameserver (to be): ns1.swjedi.net
        Issue: I want 'ns1.swjedi.net' to return all of my records for
the Domain
'swjedi.net'. ie: 'mail.swjedi.net', 'www.swjedi.net', etc.

        Brian ThunderEagle (Web / Network Administrator)
        mailto:furbs@arcadia.2y.net
        http://arcadia.2y.net
        http://akfragfest.n3.net