Re: Why not use root all the time?

Subject: Re: Why not use root all the time?
bryan@ak.net
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:44:18 AKDT

Neil Moomey wrote in <175e081796d8.1796d8175e08@snowy.gci.net>:

> Thanks for everyones the advice. You convinced me. Now I just have to
> figure out how to import all my Evolution email and contacts into a
> user account and undo all the file permissions that are now root. It
> might be easier to re-install everything.

The chown (change owner) command might help you out here.
If you want to move a file as-is to a different user, you
can do, as root:
# mv mydata ~neil
# chown neil.users ~neil/mydata

The first command puts the file where the user neil can access
it, and the second sets the file's owner to neil (and group to
users).

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net