RE: Why not use root all the time?

Subject: RE: Why not use root all the time?
From: HAMILTON,STEVE K (HP-USA,ex2) (steve_hamilton2@hp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 14:01:45 AKDT

I will often suggest that folks alias rm to 'rm -i' so that they are asked
about each file they are deleting...

A bit of a pain when doing a large number of files, but in that case you can
always use the absolute path to rm...

Another reason not to use root all of time is so that you will learn what
it's really like to manage a multi-user computer.
Not everyone can be root all of the time, and while it's good to know how to
do everything, it's also crucial in the corporate world to know how to
politely ask for something to be done for you. Running as a non-root user
on your personal Linux box will help you understand what normal users can
and cannot do.

Steve