Re: Investments Wanted?

Subject: Re: Investments Wanted?
From: Mark-Nathaniel Weisman (mark@infinitevisions.ws)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 00:12:43 AKDT

on 4/29/02 8:34 PM, newnham at newnham@gci.net wrote:

> We have a few, but i want a shop that supports linux and Mac, and is also
> completly service oriented. Also I have been looking at suppliers so I can
> sell alot of items way less than my competition.

There are three reasons that this idea is a little tired here. Firstly, I
think Scott hit it on the head with a "too many already" quote. There are
many small shops both in Anchorage and the Valley that struggle to stay a
float day to day. Each of these shops are hundreds of thousands of dollars
in the red as it is, and they are having to compete in the services market,
where the individual rules supreme (cost to client wise). The are then
forced to hire people with little field experience, which gives bad customer
services, which looses money, then the have to hire cheaper labor..... this
goes on forever.
Secondly, we have CompUSA. Now it might not fit the idea of customer
service, however they can get parts and items into the state cheaper than
setting up new shipping routes on individual items. With the global network
in existence for CompUSA, competition would be suicide "business wise". Now
for the record, I am not a supporter of "ChumpUSA" or the "village idiot,"
however, I do appreciate the possibility of going down there and getting a
60GB hard drive (off the shelf) for under $100 or so. Something's you just
can't compete with.
Thirdly, the amount of investment that you are talking about, is in the
$500K range, of which you won't see a return on that investment for at least
18 months (if the market is in you favor!). In a saturated market like
Anchorage, that's a really long time, and by then you couldn't have built up
a customer base to support the organization. If you don't believe me, where
is "Speed-Net"? Lan-D is now over on Tudor, with what looks to be half their
store.
Instead of competing here bud, you may want to find an organization that
will take you in and you can make it home. However, may I suggest that you
make sure that your career objectives match the organization's this time.

Sorry everybody for deteriorating this thread, back to our regularly
scheduled bantering.

His Servant,
Mark