Re: preemptible kernel

Subject: Re: preemptible kernel
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 22:58:40 AKDT

Jon,

probably not.

I can't claim to know a whole lot about pre-emptible kernels, but the
basic premise is that it will allow a userland process to execute before a
kernel land process. Basically, if the kernel is busy dealing with
interrupts it won't steal too much cpu time from your dvd player. Someone
please correct me if i'm wrong here...

I'm using preemptiveness on my laptop with the 2.5.7 kernel. It is
noticably snappier when the system becomes really busy. Otherwise, I
can't tell any difference at all.

I'm also fighting a problem with my sound pausing inexplicably for a
second or two during play. But, that could be a number of things since
they are usb speakers (the white noise generated by laptop speakers is
unbearable). This could be in the usb audio driver, the alsa sound
drivers, or somewhere else... I'm not sure yet.

On 28 Apr 2002, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Sometimes when I am listening to xmms and open up a new application such
> as Evolution mail client my song or movie will skip. Would the
> preemptible kernel patch fix this? From what I have read this patch does
> fix this. Am I right or am I misunderstandig?
>
> Jon

DON'T PANIC