Wireless LAN on Denali

Subject: Wireless LAN on Denali
From: Charles Smith (smithcm@alaska.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 09:07:58 AKDT

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 09:06, Chris Hamilton wrote:

> Just got this email from a fellow down in Denver. He's looking for
> information on an internet connection on Denali (the mountain). Anyone
know
> anybody up in that part of the world that would know what is available,
and
> how feasible this proposed project might be?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris.

Try using proven technology, IMMARSAT.

Buy the small briefcase phone equipment. It comes with a modem jack. Get a
subscription to the service. Connect your laptop and dial in. I have done
this from as far north as Little Diomede and Nome. The satelite is over the
state of Ten., I think, which makes it a very low shot on the horizon. If
you make your shot from on top of, or a south facing slope, of a mountain
like Denali, then that shouldn't be an issue.
If Internet or a connection is important enough, you will pay:)

Charlie