RE: Wireless LAN on Denali

Subject: RE: Wireless LAN on Denali
From: Christopher Erickson (cerickson@gci.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 20:32:22 AKDT

That would require too much power for a shot of that distance and would
violate FCC rules. They might have (had) a series of 25-mile 2.4Ghz
repeaters going, but I doubt it.

They might be (or have been) using licensed microwave spectrum and higher
power equipment, but I think I would have heard about that.

According to what I have been told the only Internet access in Denali Park
comes from MTA and is transported over a single congested MTA Frame Relay
circuit that travels along the Parks highway and suffers a lot of outages.

Satellite is a feasible option, but the monthly costs and excessive latency
make it rather undesirable.

-Christopher Erickson