Re: Fw: Wireless LAN on Denali

Subject: Re: Fw: Wireless LAN on Denali
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 09:46:55 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Reynolds" <jonr@destar.net>

> Or just bounce a gravitron particle beam off the main
> deflector dish. Thats how Star Trek would do it.
>
> Jon

Well, not quite. I agree that gravitron particles would be an ideal
solution to the problem, but you'd have to remodulate the main dish's
emitter array to prevent the gravitron particles from penetrating the dish
(and the main hull). You may also have to remodulate the gravitron beam
projector itself to vary the beam width to match whatever receiver will be
used on Denali. Keep in mind that Denali is above an active subduction
zone, so there is a lot of Pacific crustal material under the Alaska Range
that reduces density under the range, thus reducing the local gravitational
pull which would affect gravitons more that other signals. Therefore you
may have to remodulate the aiming systems as well, since we're going after a
point target. (Gravitron beams interfere with migratory birds so we can't
blanket the whole area.)

I suggest picking up "Linux in the Starship: Practical Remodulation
Techniques for the 32.4 kernel." I don't know if Amazon has it, but the
Advanced Starship Design Bureau might.

Cheers,

James