Re: [Fwd: RE:Fwd: Compromised Linux Box [#7826335]] (Response from hypermart.net)

Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE:Fwd: Compromised Linux Box [#7826335]] (Response from hypermart.net)
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:28:39 AKDT

> Thought the group might be interested in this response from hypermart.net
> after I took it upon myself to forward the info that Alan posted.
> One less resource for that black hat to use against us.

I'm not sure what the point is to shutting down sites that just have tools.
There's more than a few white hats that use them to test the security of
their own systems. Our response shouldn't be to try to deprive the populace
of the tools (which is a lesson in futility, anyway), but to make sure our
infrastructure is secured against such.

Don't waste your time on that nonsense. Security through obscurity is crap
(whether it's the obscurity of your configuration or the tools to hack it).

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto