Re: sendmail help

Subject: Re: sendmail help
From: Mark-Nathaniel Weisman (mark@infinitevisions.ws)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 23:54:45 AKDT

on 4/21/02 3:01 PM, gkvokov@ieee.org at gkvokov@ieee.org wrote:

> If I do decide to go with postfix, is there a way to uninstall sendmail
> cleanly with one or two commands? Or, would I need to manually find all the
> bits and pieces and get rid of myself?
>

>> Your reverse name lookup doesn't match your forward... This is a problem
>> that can be delt with in two ways.
>>
>> You can either set your MX record to 186-3-237-24-cable.anchorageak.net or
>> you can tell postfix/sendmail to use mail.gci.net as the relay host.
>>
>> when a mail server does a reverse lookup on that ip and gets something
>> else, then mail service is rejected. If your mail server advertised
>> itself as 186-3-237-24-cable.anchorageak.net and that was also in your MX
>> record then your reverse will match your forward and everyone will be
>> happy.
>>
>> since you are part of gci's network their mail server should allow you to
>> relay email. Setting mail.gci.net as the relay host in sendmail/postfix
>> will send all outgoing mail through their servers.
>>
>> hope that helps,
>>
>> -james
>>

>>> Hello Greg.
>>>
>>> This may not be what you are looking for, but it may help you out.
>>>
>>> I stopped using sendmail years ago. I find that it is too difficult to
>>> configure and it's got a steep learning curve. I've moved to Postfix.
>>> It is a drop in replacement for sendmail, it is fast, reliable, easy to
>>> configure, and is designed with security in mind.
>>>
>>> RedHat doesn't come with Postfix, though they have a HOWTO on installing
>>> it, which is easy to follow and can have you up and running in a flash.
>>> I've got Postfix running on my RH7.2 server and it works great.
>>>
>>> Here are a few links that will help you out if you decide to go that
>>> route.
>>>
>>> RedHat Postfix HOWTO:
>>> http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/book1.html
>>>
>>> RedHat Postfix FAQ:
>>> http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/faqs/RH-postfix-FAQ/book1.html
>>>

>>> Either way you go, I wish you luck!
>>>
>>> Anthony

I would stay with sendmail, and use the DNS lookups mentioned before.
Sendmail is about as flexible and "workable" as they come. Especially with
Red Hat and several others in that it's already done. I've personally used
Sendmail on every Linux box I have, and they all seem to work fine. I also
do all my own DNS, so everything matches.

His Servant,
Mark