Re: RAID

Subject: Re: RAID
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 14:00:14 AKDT

On Thursday 18 April 2002 09:58 am, Peter Q. Olsson wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I am trying to come up to speed on RAID appliances and RAID terminology.
> Can anyone point me to a short tutorial on the subject?
>
> PQO

> | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
> | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
> | University of Alaska Anchorage |
> | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
> | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
> | voice: (907) 264-7449 |
> | fax : (907) 264-7444 |
> | olsson@aeff.at.uaa.alaska.edu |
> |__________________________________________________________________|

OK

We have hardware RAIDs like the Mylex DAC960 working on SCSI devices. and we
have The ARCO controllers working on IDE which are transparent to the OS.

The Promise Supertrak is in a category by itself. It has a RAID Controller
CHip from Intel and has GPL drivers.

There are some very nice added high-throughput interfaces for IDE (either
Plug-in Boards or embedded on the motherboard) which Advertise RAID and even
claim to be hardware (Actually they are BIOS extensions--software RAID and
very limited proprietary versions suitable for making a software RAID for
Windows, but limited to a single RAID extent (kindly partition inside that)).
 Most distros now have kernel capability or kernel module capability to read
and write the winpartitions inside those RAIDs, and Promise has issued
drivers for some of its series and also Highpoint has done so (all
closed-source binaries). Drivers to use RAID with these controllers under
linux are of course unnecessary as linux software RAID is considerably more
flexible and efficient.

For those who want to set up RAID with very little hassle, get the rpms on
raidtools and diskdrake from any Mandrake mirror, and install with your
favorite installer (the rpms are apt-get capable).

And for lots more info about ide-RAID, try www.linux-ide.org as your primary
source. (You may find its stance to the IDE-RAOID controllers considerably
more vitriolic.)

Civileme