re: Sound Error downdate

Subject: re: Sound Error downdate
From: Kirk McFadden (captkirk1767@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 12:59:01 AKDT

RH 7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10 Toshiba laptop, maestro card

Bummer. I guess the aRts is the sound server for the
KDE system. My apps produce noise, but the system does
not. No groovy startup wav file, no alert bells and
whistles. So while I got rid of the recurrent error, I
guess I have not solved the ultimate problem; KDE's
apparent inability to deal with a maestro sound card.
Actually I think that may be incorrect, as Gribbon
pointed out, it might be the kernel builds inability
to deal, because, while I don't get the 'cpu overload'
error in gnome, I still don't get the system sounds,
though the games and what-not make noise when
requested. I'll keep on it when i have time and post
anything I come up with.........