Re: Packages in Red Hat.

Subject: Re: Packages in Red Hat.
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 07:14:32 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark-Nathaniel Weisman" <mark@infinitevisions.ws>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 12:51 AM
Subject: Packages in Red Hat.

> ALL:
> Isn't there a database somewhere that would tell all the different
packages
> installed on a Red Hat box? I thought there was a way maybe from the
command
> line to see which packages had been installed

You can try `rpm -qa` which will list everything installed, but most people
don't find that particularly useful. If you're looking for something in
particular you can do `rpm -qa | grep foo]` to get a list of which version
of the foo.rpm is installed, as well as catch anything like foo-client.rpm
or foo-devel.rpm since so many things are split into two or more .rpms.

Check out the man page for rpm to see lots of other options - you can get a
list of all of the files created by an rpm, etc.

Of course rpm does not know about things you've installed from source or
with other packages. So for example if you have StarOffice installed,
`rpm -qa | grep StarOffice` will not tell you anything.

HTH

James